The 275kV substation is connected to 2 nearby substations via 275kV overhead transmission lines and to a 3rd substation via a 132kV overhead transmission line. A new Reactor bay is constructed to install a 50MVAr, 275kV Reactor within the substation. The substation transformer (275kV/132kV), Reactor, Circuit Breakers, CCVTs, and other HV equipment need protection against potential lightning surges arriving via transmission lines and against possible switching surges. This protection against fast-front surges was evaluated in this study and a complete insulation coordination for the safe operation of the substation was achieved.
- Insulation Coordination studies;
- HV Design review;
- PSCAD / EMTDC model of the substation;
- Transmission Tower modelling for lightning studies;
- Reactor Switching studies;
- Circuit Breaker assessment;
- Surge Arrester performance verification;
- EMT Simulation;
- Fault Current analysis;
- Transformer Surge protection.